Author Topic: What's everyone up to in their lives?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline black_mage#1

• Administrator
What's everyone up to in their lives?
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:40:42 PM »
Just wondering...

I'm currently working on my Masters Thesis, I moved out of my parents house, I learned to cook, and I'm trying to get into shape. :)

Offline Colt

• Administrator
Re: What's everyone up to in their lives?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »
Same old stuff for me. Working, training, making my game. Oh and sleeping when time permits it. :P

Congrats on moving out and learning how to cook. And the best of luck with your thesis. I think you once told me about studying in the field of artificial limbs and such (I could be remembering it wrong, so please correct me if I do); is this also the general topic for your thesis?

So is it going to be Dr. Blackmage in the future? ;)

Colt approves this message

Offline Sergio Turbo

• Coltgames Trusted Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »
I'm currently attending a school for helicopter assembling technicians, and in fact I'm doing one of the internship phases right now.

That's right: I'm helping building AgustaWestland AW139 helicopters.

Offline Colt

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:08 AM »
That's right: I'm helping building AgustaWestland AW139 helicopters.

One word: Awesome! :D
That's a search and rescue helicopter right? Your saving lives Sergio, way to go.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:59:52 AM by Colt »

Offline Sergio Turbo

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
The AW139 can be configured to do all sort of missions, be it Search&Rescue, ferry flights for off-shore oil platforms, VIP or military (the AW139M version). It's a great helicopter, and I'm proud of being between those who build it.

Offline Colt

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
Cool Sergio. Are you planning to also get certified to fly helicopters?
Personally I am interested in obtaining my PPL sometime in the future and possibly get a PPL Rotorcraft also. I've had some flight lessons before a couple of summers ago with Cesna 172S.

Offline Sergio Turbo

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
Certified to fly them? I'd like to, but it's damn expensive. Unless I win the lottery, that's out of reach for me.

Offline black_mage#1

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
Same old stuff for me. Working, training, making my game. Oh and sleeping when time permits it. :P

Congrats on moving out and learning how to cook. And the best of luck with your thesis. I think you once told me about studying in the field of artificial limbs and such (I could be remembering it wrong, so please correct me if I do); is this also the general topic for your thesis?

So is it going to be Dr. Blackmage in the future? ;)

Ahaha, thanks Colt. My Master's thesis is the design of a calibration technique for a mobility monitoring application. My first paper can be read here.

Whataya guys think?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:02:24 PM by black_mage#1 »

Offline black_mage#1

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
By the way Sergio, that is extremely cool. I have yet to fly in a helicopter... definitely on my bucket list. Possibly holding an M134 shooting zombies out the side.  :P

Offline Colt

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »
Your thesis looks pretty pro. It was an interesting read, the trails you ran and resulting information, where the highlights for me. It is an ingenious idea to use a smartphone as a mobility monitor; and for it to be continually reliable, a proper calibration method is needed. Not to mention the increase of user friendliness (not requiring the user to use one specific holder, but freely be able to place it on they're body the way they normally would. Tough I recon it still needs to be in the waist/upper leg area for the smartphone's accelerometer to monitor activity).

I have yet to fly in a helicopter... definitely on my bucket list. Possibly holding an M134 shooting zombies out the side.  :P
That last bit is on everyones bucket list... or atleast it should be! :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:20:36 PM by Colt »

Offline Sergio Turbo

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »
That's a really interesting work Bmage, if you manage to develop that you're assured to find the major smartphone companies (and even gaming ones, think about the Wiimote or the Sixaxis/Dualshock controllers) knocking at your door, as an improved calibration algorithm is going to help everywhere, not only in mobility applications.

I didn't have an occasion to fly in an helicopter either, but if I get hired there (after all, that's what my school is for) there might be a chance (Might is the key word, as the assembly line workers aren't supposed to get a ride, unfortunately. But if I work hard enough, I might be able to change mansion after a while and get one that grants that.). It would be nice if they allowed us one ride as a "prize" at the end of the internship, too, considering that we are basically already working but they don't pay us yet.