Author Topic: Languages  (Read 1505 times)

Offline nickexile

• Coltgames Trusted Member
Languages
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
The internet is a truly wonderful place that enables people from all over the world to talk in one place - like Coltgames Forums. So I would like to ask you all, where are you from, what languages do you speak and what languages are you trying to speak?

Well, I am a Pole so I speak Polish fluently (obviously), I managed to learn English and I think I'm quite good at using it and I'm desperately and vainly trying to learn German. It made me realize how much of a bitch cases are, seriously. And if one day I'm able to handle German, maybe I'll start learning Spanish (although that would be a loooong time from now).

So, my friends, how about you?
Fight fire with fire.

Fight gayness with... Oh crap XD

Offline Colt

• Administrator
Re: Languages
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:06 PM »
I am from the Netherlands, so Dutch is a default language in my repertoire. Then I have to say my English is rather topnotch. Other then that I am capable of speaking German quiet well.
In school they did try to teach me French, but that didnít stick.

Colt approves this message

Offline Sergio Turbo

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
An Italian here, so my first language is obviously Italian. I'm good with English too, since I am currently writing stories in it (in addition to this forum, obviously!)

I did French too at school, with the same degree of success as Colt.

Offline nickexile

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »
Colt, how long did it take you to learn German you speak today? I've been learning German for 3 years and I think I kind of wasted all that time...

Anyway guys, when and why did you start learning English? I started in kindergarden for an unknown reason to me, then in 5th grade I went to Ireland and lived there for a year. Needless to say, I came back as a boy capable of thinking in English.
Fight fire with fire.

Fight gayness with... Oh crap XD

Offline Colt

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »
During two years of middle school I had German as a mandatory course. One major advantage for me (and every other Dutch person) is that Dutch and German have simularities. Other then that, currently most of the clients of the company I work for are German. Speaking German is basically a job requirement.

I don't know exactly when I started learning English. But I do know it was pretty early on. Primarily because I loved watching American action tv-series (The A-Team, Knight Rider, Airwolf, etc.) Unlike Germany and France who dub the shows into they're own language, the tv shows we're spoken in English with subtitles.
By reading the subs and hearing the speech, I effectivly learned myself Engli... erm American! :)

And they say nothing good comes from watching to much tv.

Colt approves this message

Offline dethmetal

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:13:13 AM »
I'm from the US so I'm a native English speaker. I took German for two years but sadly I don't speak it fluently (yet)

Offline Nightowl

• TAKE YOUR PRUNE JUICE!!!! >:O
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »
I'm from Finland, so I speak finnish fluently :p I started learning English at age 7, 3 years before it would be taught to me at school. I mostly learned it by wasting time by playing videogames and drawing comics. Few years ago I wrote horrible English, although I quickly learned to speak better English by reading other people's posts at forums :p

Offline Codename_Jamal/Boozer

• Jesus in disguise
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »
I'm from Scotland in the UK and i would say "English" is my native language (although very colloquial to Scotland) but i did German at school for 2 years so i know some of the basics..not very much though

Offline JohnnyAwesome

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »
That is wonderful that we have a varied group from all over the world to come together. I'm from New Orleans, Louisiana and I can only speak English! In my school growing up the language teachers where terrible and got fired so I could never go. I wanted to learn Italian, as I plan on going to Italy one day. But progress is still very grim on that  :P

Offline Sergio Turbo

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
Good luck with my language then! (You'll need it - we have a lot of verb forms here in Italy)